Visiting a doctor regularly is one way for women to take a proactive approach to their overall health and wellness. Our team at GYN Choices also encourage women to see their reproductive doctor at least once a year for a well woman visit. Well women visits are appointments made to evaluate one’s reproductive health. It includes many screenings and diagnostics. When women ask about what to expect during a well woman visit, they will often be told about each element of the appointment, which may include:
- Breast examination – a physical evaluation of the breasts is done to look for any signs of cancerous lesions. Patients will also lie on a table with one arm up while the doctor performed palpitations to feel for any lumps or masses that may indicate signs of breast cancer.
- Mammography – for women of the age of 40 or older, annual mammograms are highly recommended. This is a specialized screening to look for signs of breast cancer. It is a unique x-ray that can provide early detection of masses and tumors that can be removed for biopsy.
- Pelvic examination – during a pelvic examination, the doctor will look for any signs of problems. The patient will lie back and put their feet in stirrups to allow the doctor a clear view of the external genitalia. Then a speculum is used to open the vaginal canal and allow for evaluation of the cervix.
- Pap smear – during a pelvic examination, the doctor may take samples of the cells inside of the vagina to have it tested for HPV or cervical cancer. Early detection of cancer can allow for effective treatment and a reduce risk of long-term complications.
- STD testing – depending on the patient’s age and certain risk factors, the doctor at GYN Choices may also perform STD testing. This can check for signs of gonorrhea or chlamydia through samples taken of the cervix or vagina. Blood testing may be used to check for other conditions such as syphilis, HIV, and hepatitis C.
Schedule an appointment at GYN Choices today for your well woman visit
If it has been a while since you’ve had an examination and you are located in the area of East Brunswick, NJ, we encourage you to book your visit to GYN Choices. Our facility is located at 281 Summerhill Road and can be reached at (732) 698-1115.