The choice to have an abortion is a personal one, and the team at GYN Choices in East Brunswick, NJ, understands this more than ever. Given the recent news and media attention on abortion, we felt it was appropriate to focus on abortion and abortion options available to women. We want to emphasize the importance of choice and our commitment to women’s health and safety and want you to know about all of the proven and effective options open to you.
What are the different types of abortion?
There are several types of abortion. The type a woman chooses to have may be dictated by her circumstances, how far along she is in her pregnancy, or the diagnosis of certain medical conditions in the mother or child.
Some of the most common types of abortion include:
- Spontaneous abortion: This is also known as a miscarriage, and it occurs when a pregnancy is lost spontaneously without any medical intervention. Around 15-20% of all pregnancies end in spontaneous abortion.
- Therapeutic abortion: A therapeutic abortion may be performed if there is a risk to the life or health of the mother or if the pregnancy is the result of rape or incest.
- Elective abortion: An elective abortion is one that the woman chooses for personal reasons, such as not being ready to become a parent or being unable to afford a child. Elective abortions are generally safe and legal in most countries.
- Medical abortion: A medical abortion is induced by taking medication rather than undergoing surgery. This type of abortion is typically only used in early pregnancy.
- Surgical abortion: A surgical abortion is performed by a doctor using surgical instruments. This type of abortion can be performed at any stage of pregnancy.
How do I learn more about my abortion options?
At GYN Choices, we realize how difficult of a decision it can be to decide to move forward with an abortion. We work with women facing this decision every day and provide compassionate care for those making choices for themselves and their future. If you are considering an abortion and want to speak to a professional about your options, feel free to call our East Brunswick, NJ office at 732-698-1115 for an appointment with our team. We can walk you through the choices available and help you make an educated decision without judgment.