Pregnant? Congratulations! Pregnancy is a special time for new moms, and continues to be a time of excitement for everyone. Adding a child to your family can be stressful, too. When you find out you are pregnant, it’s time to take the right steps to ensure a healthy pregnancy and childbirth.
Below are a few of the more important steps you can take once you have discovered you are pregnant.
- Call your doctor right away. At GYN Choices, we offer the services of gynecological and obstetrical doctors who can confirm your pregnancy with a medical-grade test. This is a great way to get to know our team and become familiar with the doctors you will work with throughout this special time!
- Take folic acid. Supplements such as folic acid are vital to ensuring your baby is protected from certain brain and spinal cord issues such as spina bifida. Many of these are available over-the-counter or can be prescribed by your doctor.
- Stop bad habits. Smoking, drinking alcohol, and using illegal drugs should be stopped as soon as possible for the protection of your baby’s health. Women should also closely monitor their caffeine intake to no more than 200 milligrams.
- Eat a healthy diet. Do not overconsume under the guise that you are “eating for two.” There are ways to satisfy your hunger without adding on extra pounds that will remain after the baby is born and can put you at risk for obesity, diabetes, or other health concerns.
- Maintain an active lifestyle. Talk to your doctor about what activities are safe to participate in. Staying fit with daily exercise can also help in maintaining a healthy weight throughout pregnancy.
- Watch what medications you are taking. Some medications are not safe to take while pregnant. Be sure to advise your doctor about any and all medication you are taking, including prescription and non-prescription pharmaceuticals.
- Rest. Self-care is incredibly important during this time. Many women feel tired during pregnancy because of fluctuations in their hormones. Rest and relax when you can to improve your physical and mental well-being throughout this journey.
Have you recently discovered you’re pregnant?
Now is the time to connect with your gynecologist and obstetrician to start the foundation for a healthy pregnancy! Call GYN Choices of East Brunswick, NJ today to book your initial evaluation appointment. The office is located at 281 Summerhill Road and can be reached by calling (732) 408-6182.