Patients looking for a safe and secure method of receiving abortion pills have started turning to mail-order prescriptions. While mail-order abortion pills can be delivered promptly — before the 10-week gestation period—there are some concerns about how safe they really are. If you have made the decision to have an abortion, it’s important to understand the differences between mail-order abortion pills and visiting a doctor in person.
Abortion pills involve a two-step process for medically terminating a pregnancy. Mifepristone is taken first to block the body’s progesterone production, stopping the pregnancy from developing. This is followed by misoprostol, which causes the uterus to shed, causing bleeding and cramping. You can also use misoprostol independently, depending on your doctor’s directions.
How Does Receiving Mail-Order Abortion Pills Work?
Many companies now have websites that can provide people with necessary medications they do not feel comfortable going into an office to receive.
Generally, these sites work by asking the patient several questions about their condition, other medications they may be taking, and a little bit about their medical history. Then, you may briefly speak with a medical provider who will ask any follow-up questions and ensure the pills are the safest option for you. The pills can then be mailed to you overnight.
When using mail-order abortion pills, there are some risks and potential issues you may come across, such as:
- Abortion pills have potential side effects, and a doctor should oversee you to ensure everything goes smoothly and safely.
- Providers may not ask enough questions about your medical history.
- It may take more time than visiting an office in person.
- Not all sites are federally regulated, and patients must use caution when using them.
Benefits of In-Office Visits
If possible, seeking in-office visits provides more benefits than mail-order prescriptions.
- Patients can provide a full medical history and discuss any concerns and questions with the doctor before being prescribed the medication.
- The visit is more thorough, ensuring the medication is the right fit for you.
- Your doctor can oversee your treatment and ensure you are safe and do not encounter any side effects while taking the abortion pills.
Schedule an In-Office Consultation With Gyn Choices
Ensuring your health and safety is the goal at GYN Choices, which is why they recommend coming into their office if you’re looking for a medical abortion in East Brunswick, NJ. They will help you determine the right choice for you. Contact GYN Choices today at (732) 698-1115 to schedule a consultation.